Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kolkata aka Calcutta

Flying into Kolkata I felt an overwhelming sense of joy. As we flew above the city I peered out the airplane window and saw lush green landscape, thousands of palm trees and multiple water areas. This landscape is so different compared to the northern part of India. It was absolutely beautiful.My mind began to race as I realized this is where I was born. This is where my biological ancestors live. My mother and father walked these streets, my sisters and brothers played in these streets and who knows my nieces and nephews are probably roaming these streets as I write this. I don’t really know if I have brothers and sisters but one would imagine so. As we landed I felt a huge wave of emotion crash into me. My eyes filled with tears and my chest became heavy. This is what I have been waiting for. I am finally in the city that I was born in. As we exited the plane there was a sign that said, “welcome to the city of joy”. The humid tropical air hit my skin and the moistness filed my lungs.




As I looked around the airport I started seeing people that had similar features as I. Many might not be aware but the different regions in India yield different facial characteristics and skin tone. Even though I thought coming to India I would be surrounded by people that looked like me, I stand out. People seem to be fascinated by me and everyday multiple people ask if I speak Hindi. They comment on how I look Indian but you can tell by their faces that I am a paradox. I look Indian but do not speak, dress or carry myself like a local. It’s quite funny. Many children will laugh and smile at me. It warms my heart and I enjoy waving back. However, in Kolkata I see my features reflected on the faces of others. Even Michael commented on this.


Driving into town was very picturesque. Among the lushness there were many city components that lined the streets. Kolkata is a large city and we drove past a lot of new construction. We passed malls, schools and many high rise apartments. The traffic is filled with cars and taxis and is just as chaotic if not more as in other areas we have visited.
















I am excited beyond words to be here. Tomorrow we will visit the site of the orphanage and nursing home I was kept in while I was here. Then in the afternoon we will pick up our precious daughter. I have unpacked her things and gathered the donations for the orphanage. I have purchased medicine and tomorrow I will buy formula for the children in the orphanage. Our wonderful family and friends have pitched in and donated money to buy these crucial items for the children’s home. I know they will be so blessed to have these basic necessities for their babies. Thank you to alI who helped make this a possibility. I am hopeful that with all that was raised we can provide enough formula to feed all of the children for 6 weeks or more. I am getting excited to finally hold her and I hope she feels safe and loved while in my arms. Much love and blessings to all,

Brie

p.s. I noticed while walking down the street my hair curls and frizzes in the exact same way as the women here,  oh and Indian food in India is amazing

9 comments:

  1. Your story is unfolding in such a beautiful way. So glad to hear you are safely in Kolkata and that tomorrow your baby girl will be in your arms. I am anxious to read your next post and find out how your first meeting with your precious girl went. Praying for a wonderful transition.

    April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine all the emotions this day held for you... Not only going through the huge ups and downs of the day you meet your daughter, but to be at the place where you were born and actually walking through your city, your orphanage, and even your birth location has to be almost too much to take in all in one day. Can't wait to see pictures and read about how the day went... What a beautiful thing God has done by bringing you full circle. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just able to catch up on your journey and so much has happened!! I am privileged to be able to hear your thoughts and emotions Brie!! I feel as though your not on the other side of the world, but I can also tell that through your experiences you've grown so much already. I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to be at the place of your birth and see people who look like you! It truly makes me smile! Our prayers are with you and can't wait till your next posting!

    p.s. Where is the picture of you in the sari?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through your writing, I am looking into the future when we hope to bring Anya Rashi to India. I often wonder what she will feel and think when she has a chance to go back to her birthplace . . . I do not take lightly your willingness to share some of your thoughts. Thanks for sharing some of the very personal parts of your journey -- it's a gift to me and my daughter.

    You will be in my prayers tonight as you wake up to a life-changing day.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so touching to hear the way that India is impacting you Brie! To be in your birth city, walking among Indians who look like you, it is marvelous! Today is the big day for you and Michael, and so many hearts are sending you love and light. My wish for you is to feel a deep sense of calm and purpose, and to know that your daughter will find solace in your arms. With excitement and love, Emily (Asha's Mommy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful day and may you have a very special first evening with your daughter! These pictures are so great.:) We can't wait to go back to India. Kolkata was our favorite. Gidget

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand the different "looks" of the various regions in India. Although we did not go back to Kolkata this time, several people during our last journey, knew where Devi was born simply by her looks.

    I am so thrilled that this part of our trip has finally come. I knew when we met last summer, what an exhilarating experience it would be for you. Thanks for sharing it.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE the excitement in your words!! Though so far away, I can feel the excited energy from you as if I were there. I can't wait to hear about when you saw Tanaya for the first time. You're such a great story teller and I'm on the edge of my seat awaiting the next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brie & Mike,
    Our hearts are heavy while reading your journal entries. We are literally moved to tears. You may not realize that this journey will not only change your lives forever but also those of us that you have allowed to share in it with you.
    Much love,
    Tash & Bill

    ReplyDelete