Friday, April 1, 2011

We're here...we are in India!

As we were landing my husband grabbed my hand and looked at me and said,” we’re here, we are in India”. It was the way he spoke his words and the look in his eyes that I will never forget. I know he is excited to meet his daughter and to be on this journey with me. I’m so grateful for his companionship and support. The Delhi airport customs was very easy and smooth. I was expecting much more of a crowd.  The drive to our hotel was a different story. We were greeted and helped into our car and the drive was exactly what you see in movies. Chaos, congestion, horns, bicycles, motorcycles, cows all of that and more. It was great!  When we arrived at our hotel the security checked our car for bombs and our entire luggage screened through a metal detector.   We went to bed quickly as we were to catch the 6am train to Agra 

This morning was a morning I will never forget.
We drove to the train station and it was still dark out. We passed people sleeping on the streets. Families with all of their possessions lined up on the side of the road, some not even having a tent or a tarp. Some were beginning to cook and you could see the open flames and their one pot steaming. This was just not one case; we passed multiple scenes of many people living in these conditions. Stray dogs were running in the alley ways and the city was beginning to awake.


We arrived at the train station and there were many people asking to port our luggage, men with turbans were selling newspapers and families sleeping on the hard concrete, no blankets, no belongings. As we were waiting in line to board the train I looked to my left and saw rows of people sleeping. The vision that struck me most was a woman asleep with her two children. She laid there wrapped in her sari and all I could think about was how this was her reality and her children’s’ reality. I held it together but as soon as we were seated on the train, I lost it. Tears rolled down my face. Things I take for granted; clothing, shelter, food, a bed would be incredible luxuries for this woman. I thought of my daughters who I love so dearly and want to provide for. Here she was trying to provide what she could for her children which happened to be a corner of her sari to keep them warm. We are both mothers and yet her daily feat is survival for herself and children. I felt ashamed for having our luggage full of stuff and at one point I wanted to unload it all and give everything away. The image of her will always be engrained in my mind.


 As the train rolled along we passed many homes consisting of tattered materials and cardboard. Mike witness several people taking their morning bathroom privileges near the train tracks. Many cows and goats rested within sight and the morning rituals of the villages we passed came to light. I felt like I was living out a scene in a movie. Even though there is great poverty there is a sense of beauty and peace within this country.




We arrived at the train station and again I was hit with waves of emotion.  We had met some nice people on the train who were traveling as a group and our hotel as well as theirs had packed us a boxed breakfast. There was a collection of fruit and sandwiches which had not been eaten so we gathered them up and their guide gave the food to some children outside the station. You should have seen the joy and excitement on their faces. Again I was hit with such strong emotions.  Something that I take for granted something as simple as breakfast was such a precious gift to them. There were other children running up to our car banging on the windows asking or rather mouthing with their hands for food. My eyes locked on with a little boy’s and his face will be etched in my mind for a long time. We brought granola bars and fruit leathers with the intention of handing them out to children, but our driver said this would not be a good time as sometimes it can get chaotic and cause quite the commotion so we followed his lead and left the station.
Children looking at the food collection
 
Driving in India is very entertaining and there is never a dull moment.  We paused today for a herd of water buffalo, shared lanes with many cows and even passed a camel. I loved witnessing the life of the locals as we passed by. We are in Agra if I haven’t mentioned. Today we visited Agra fort which is incredible and so beautiful. Tomorrow we will visit the Taj Mahal as it is closed on Fridays. We have been able to get a great look at it from a distance from the Agra fort and from our hotel. It is stunning and magical looking.








Agra fort


India is everything I imagined it to be and more. Although there have been emotionally hard moments there is such beauty and graciousness from the people we have met. I am so happy we are here and a heartfelt connection with this country has already been embraced and formed. Much love and blessings to all, Brie


13 comments:

  1. Happy to hear of your safe arrive to India. You are officially in the country you have dreamed of for years. It is so fun to read your accounts. All those emotions of my trips there come back in full force. The emotions you feel while in India run so deep and have an ever changing affect on your life. Enjoy Agra and your next stop. I am loving reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your experience with us at home.

    April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the descriptions of what you are seeing... What a precious trip this is for you, seeing and experiencing your birth country for the first time.... Enjoy every moment.... you'll treasure these words you are writing to read over and over again later.... and to someday be able to share it with your daughters. Thank you for allowing us to journey with you from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that we are all able to experience this journey with you even if we aren't able to see with our own eye's the mother or the young boy. May God continue to be with you both and may He give you His heart. What a gift to be there and thank you so much for sharing. I will be checking in often and we will continue to pray! We love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You've brought me to tears multiple times and I love that I'm able to "experience" this with you - through your eyes. Continued prayer for safety and an incredible journey will be goin' up for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I remember that trip to the train station well and traversing through it, stepping around those who slept and witnessing those who were just preparing their morning meal curbside. It is just as you mentioned, like a trip through another world. I found it interesting too, that these people who have little seem incredibly happy in spite of their tough life. I'm not sure that we would/could ever witness that in the states.

    Enjoy the Taj. It is truly magical. Thanks so much for sharing your memories with us.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Brie! I am so excited for you guys! I got teary reading, experiencing it through your writing....I can only imagine what you must be feeling! Know we are praying for you and love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to hear what you have to say. You write so well. I can feel you emotions. Have fu. I am stalking your blog daily, sometimes even more than once a day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stalking your blog too, so eager to hear everything! I can appreciate how hard it is to see such need, such absence of resources, and long to do something to reach out. Know that by choosing adoption, you are doing something Brie, something beautiful and amazing for you, and for India :) Hugs to you!

    Emily (Asha's Mommy-since there are 2 Emily's commenting on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brie, What amazing experiences you are having, and how they are tugging at your heart in so many different ways! You have a beautiful heart -thanks for sharing with us! : )
    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you made it safely and that you are enjoying your time in India! Enjoy making the memories for your little one!

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to read that you're there! Thank you for letting all of us 'go' with you on this journey. You paint such a vivid picture! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to anticipate how your heart will be broken by seeing so many parents and children in dire circumstances. Your compassion is beautiful, and I have a hunch your daughter's adoption will not be the end of the story for you helping those in need. So glad you are able to see the dignity and resilience of everyone you're encountering.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete